Check the brake.
You are driving around town and something doesn’t feel quite right. You are pressing on the gas, yet your vehicle isn’t accelerating with its normal zip. And then you discover it. You’ve been driving with the emergency brake on!
That’s what it’s like for a large percentage of struggling readers who, along their journey, missed some essential foundational reading skills and strategies. It’s hard to believe, but a few gaps in reading skills can truly make the difference between 0 and 60 mph. The good news (yes, there’s good news), is that identifying and filling those gaps with targeted instruction can be as transformational as releasing the emergency brake. That’s why we developed Reading Trends. Because it's hard to find texts that use ample scaffolding and support and bring students up to speed gently over the course of just one year.
Flexible and targeted, Reading Trends provides scaffolded comprehension instruction and reading practice in the context of reading passages that start below grade level and progress to on-level texts by the end of each year. Reading Trends also features:
- Two content-area informational text selections—one science and one social studies—and one narrative selection in every instructional unit.
- An easy-to-implement four-step teaching model that progresses from instruction and modeling through application, practice, and assessment.
- Explicit instruction in the research-proven skills and strategies used by good readers.
- Embedded graphic organizers, questions, and activities designed to scaffold students’ comprehension.
- A staircase of text complexity that starts below grade level and builds to on-level reading within each grade level worktext.
- A variety of formative, summative, and ongoing assessments for targeting instruction and documenting student progress.